My Retrospective of the Pugboi SMP VIDEO DIARY:

Well, it's been a while, and I've finally managed to get off my lazy arse, and made (at least some) of an attempt to actually make the video that I've been hinting at making ever since I made The Fall of the Pugboi SMP, and Creating Possessed: A Retrospective of Possessed on the Pugboi SMP. The long-awaited explanation of everything (essential) about the Pugboi SMP, from the ever-so terrible, and yet strangely mysterious, "Betas", to finally clarifying what actually happened in Season 2, and giving a semi-finished draft of Season 1.

Anyways, that is besides the point. Today I am going to tell you the production, and behind-the-scenes stuff, of this video. 

Okay, so I'm going to start with the research. Naturally, parts of it were very easy, as I was, a) the ex-Plot Writer of the Pugboi SMP, and b) had actually experienced the events that I was making the video about myself. However, these views were kind of only my own, and, well, after I uploaded The Fall of the Pugboi SMP, I actually got a fair few of the members of the SMP got irritated at me, because I (Albeit unintentionally) displayed what I thought were facts, but were opinions. Oops.

Naturally, I wanted to avoid this mistake, because I actually got an angry comment or two from The Fall of the Pugboi SMP, and I like avoiding confrontation, so I spent many, many hours researching, and talking to members of the SMP. I actually found out quite a bit of enlightening information about the Pugboi SMP, that I didn't know prior to my "Research", so thank you to Pugboi, Fusion, and pope raisin for telling me these things.

Now, it's onto writing the script. I'll be completely transparent here: Pugboi made a very unfinished script for his own retrospective, that he scrapped, and then, upon finding out about the fact that I was making one, kindly gave me his draft, so at least I had a few hundred words of groundwork here, so, again, I'll thank him for it here, and link his channel at the bottom of this blog.

(This is a screenshot of a part of Pugboi's draft)


Anyways, after quite a bit of editing, adding on my own personal bits, and, uh, quite a bit of spell-checking, punctuation, and grammar (look, I'm a writer, and a perfectionist at that), I made my own script out of the rough chunk of clay that this one was. I added my own personal reflections, a What Went Wrong part, personal reflections on the Betas, Seasons 1 and 2, and my own opinions on the server as a whole, so I'd say that around 70% of the thing was completely my work, but I'm still gonna credit Pugboi here.

Anyways, the script was around 4,000 words long, and I think it came out well, and, if you've watched the video, you'll know what it's about. Honestly, there wasn't like an unfinished or unrecorded part to it, I literally just made it, one-taked the voiceovers, and that was me done with the script.

(A screenshot of my version of the script)


Okay, now onto asset-sourcing. Honestly, over than recovering thumbnails, and downloading the videos on The Pugboi SMP at a somewhat high quality, the only new asset that I used was this really good song from Mario: The Music Box, which was literally just called "Malice's Theme", and I really liked it, and just had to use it for the video. 

And now... god help me... the editing. Now, the editing wasn't too difficult, but, uh, the video's 25 minutes long. So, it wasn't so much on the difficult side, as I aimed for a sort of Creating Possessed, simple video-essay type style, so the editing process wasn't so much difficult, just really, really bloody boring, as it was a case of dragging clips onto the screen, dragging the voice-over, and then maybe putting different music on. Rinse. Repeat. For 10 hours. It got very, very boring.

Anyways, that's really it about My Retrospective of the Pugboi SMP. I hope you enjoyed reading this Blog, and I hope you will watch the actual video, if you haven't already, and hopefully, read more of my video-diaries.

LINKS:

My Retrospective of the Pugboi SMP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwuBVHgaOGk
Pugboi's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@pugboi_/featured


Comments